Visual Merchandiser, Buyer, Marketer, Manager
Responsible for business creation, long-term strategy, merchandise selection and procurement, strategic market planning, business development, visual merchandising, window displays, sales forecasting, pricing, training and personnel management.
Responsible leader overseeing financing, driving new concept and business, marketing creativity and integrity and vendor collaboration.
· Identified key trends and emerging products to align with strategic seasonal line plans.
· Sourced, positioned and marketed products, aligned to brand initiatives and margin requirements.
· Analyzed key departments then implemented a success program for sub-branding to grow the total business.
· Sourced vendors through a variety of trade shows, art communities and organic retail searches.
· Created all pricing structure and merchandising solutions for 3000+ SKU business.
· Worked with wholesale designers and manufacturers to create exclusive company products.
Creative Brand Marketing
· Originated a compelling lifestyle brand, based on self-identified market opportunity.
· Directed all sales and marketing initiatives including strategic consumer programs utilizing social media,
e-commerce, online messaging, blog, email and direct mail.
· Designed and directed collierwest.com from a navigational site to an e-commerce site with 1000+ products.
· Established national brand recognition through creative marketing reach and public relations.
Leadership and Communication
· Developed financial plans and expense budgets with a focus on increasing revenue, margin and profit.
· Hired, supervised, educated and developed a staff of full and part time employees and consultants.
· Called on all classes of trade, including wholesale, retail, manufacturing and design.
· Grew brand from 900SF single Ohio location to prime retail destination in New York, including e-commerce.
Authored all operations and brand standards to ensure brand consistency.
Collier West Textiles
Collier West provided multiple category selections from tabletop to gift to jewelry to textiles.
Custom orders and specialization played an important role in the brand identity and required a high level of customer service and special order expertise.
Collier West proudly showcased merchandise created and crafted by artisans. I took pride in curating goods from both local and international purveyors who had a passion for authentic craftsmanship. An attention to detail and visual stimulation allowed elevated price points, due to the synergy of a shop well maintained, luxurious unique goods and one of a kind finds.
Bath, fragrance and personal care items assisted in the storytelling of luxurious textures and pampering. Collier West was a transformational retailer that delivered experiential retail through all channels.
Product selection was a key component to the success of the brand.
One of a kind products were acquired, giving a competitive edge to the brand compared to adjacent retailers.
Sourcing came from auctions, flea markets, discovered artists, designer collaborations, research and travel.
Collier West Brooklyn
After 7 years as the number one retailer in Columbus Ohio, Collier West relocated to Brooklyn, NY. The location identified, was again, an up and coming neighborhood, continuing Collier West as a pioneer in establishing a retail foundation as an "early adopter". A tendency towards identifying trends prior to mass consumption, is a skill set that I have been able to hon and utilize in my career success.
Collier West Press
Due to extensive organic PR efforts, Collier West was recognized by several local, national and international media channels.
Time Out New York
A strength of Collier West was the ability to maintain the local roots, and high-touch authenticity of a "mom & pop" boutique, but also to present high quality materials and campaigns, as learned from my extensive corporate years. Creative marketing campaigns were delivered each month and involved product displays and selection, window presentations, social media support and CRM.
Email Blast Sample
Collaborating with a graphic designer, I created a strong brand identity to ensure that Collier West was not just a store, but rather a brand. Memorable and enticing campaigns drove traffic to the store, utilizing direct mail, email, social media platforms and traditional advertising methods.
Collier West Website
Prior to the online boom and simple template website options, I launched an e-commerce site that captured the look and the feel of the store. Powered by Magento, I was responsible for the design, copy, photography, inventory management and SEO related to the website.
Strategically, Collier West opted to manage inventory and maintain margin by hosting sale 2x/year, in an offsite location that became locally recognized as the CW FLEA. This strategy enabled CW to lead demand and immediacy, protect profits and also drive traffic to our annual event.
The FLEA was later adopted by another colleague and pioneer and continued as an annual event in Columbus, Ohio, after the CW brand moved to New York.
CW Operational Manual
A 128 page operations manual was created to ensure consistency and development of store associates. The manual included customer service training, POS training, opening and closing procedures, brand standards and visual marketing data.